What are arc furnace electrodes? arc furnace electrodes sales & Uses
By:Yvonne Oct 23, 2020
Arc furnace electrodes are primarily used in electric arc furnaces for the steel production process. So let DanCarbon talk about what are arc furnace electrodes? arc furnace electrodes sales and Uses
1.What are arc furnace electrodes?
arc furnace electrodes are primarily used in electric arc furnaces for the steel production process. Large electrical currents are passed through the low conductivity electrodes, the power causes electric arcs between the tips of the electrodes and across the liquid steel, the arc is white hot circa 5000ºC. This heat melts the scrap steel and allows the production of liquid steel. Due to the heat and power, the electrode is consumed by the turbulent gases in the immediate vicinity. Consequently the electrodes are continually fed into the furnace maintaining the optimal distance between the electrode and the liquid steel for arc continuity. Graphite is the only material that can withstand the high temperatures and efficiently transmit the electrical power required to create the arc mentioned above.
2.Arc furnace electrodes sales
UHP (ultra high power) arc furnace electrodes are used for energy-efficient transmission of high current loads into the furnace charge, giving a lower electrode consumption rate and faster metal meltdown rates.
Arc furnace electrode generally has three grades, RP(regular power), HP(high power) and UHP(ultra-high power). In order to reaching the requirement of steel making in EAF(electric arc furnace), UHP arc furnace electrodes is used mostly in steel-making process. Because that grade has the six following advantages:
• High current carrying capacity
• High resistance to thermal shock
• Outstanding flexural strength
• High temperature resistance to oxidation
• Low modulus of elasticity
• Low coefficient of thermal expansion
3.Arc furnace electrodes Uses
• Lift the new arc furnace electrodes over the old column, and slowly drop it vertically to avoid any thread damage occurring from shocks.
• Turn the new arc furnace electrodes with a torque ring. At this time, the lift plug and the electrode rotate down together until the end faces of the two electrodes contact.
• Tighten the electrode with appropriate torque to lock the electrode.
Arc furnace electrodes are mainly used in the Ac steelmaking arc furnace and Dc steelmaking arc furnace.
Electric arc furnace grade matched with electrode graphite diameter: