Graphite electrode is an unpopular industry. Most people don't know what graphite electrode is, or some people just know it through encyclopedia search. Next, Dan Carbon graphite electrode will introduce 7 secrets about graphite electrodes that you don’t know.
Graphite electrodes generate electric arcs to smelt scrap steel. Similar to the principle of lightning, they are divided into ordinary power graphite electrodes, high power and ultra-high power graphite electrodes according to the power generated by the current passing under a certain voltage per unit time. Graphite electrode production mainly uses petroleum coke and needle coke as raw materials, coal tar pitch as a binder, and is made by calcination, batching, kneading, pressing, roasting, graphitization, and machining.
Because that grade has the six following advantages:
• High current carrying capacity
• High resistance to thermal shock
• Outstanding flexural strength
• High temperature resistance to oxidation
• Low modulus of elasticity
• Low coefficient of thermal expansion
1) Graphite and graphite electrodes are two completely different feelings. Many graphite products, such as graphite crucibles, graphite plates, and carbon electrodes, are processed without graphitization or light graphitization, while graphite electrodes require a long period of time. After chemical treatment, roasting and impregnation are required to reach the physical and chemical indicators used.
2) The production cycle of graphite electrodes is long. It used to take three months to produce a batch of graphite electrodes, but now it has been shortened to two months and 60 days due to improved technology and advanced equipment.
3) Every link in the graphite electrode production process is very important. Only by doing the current link can it be possible to continue the second process, otherwise the production will not meet the standards.
4) The raw material cost of graphite electrode accounts for more than 60%, so the market raw material price fluctuates greatly. In addition, if the production cycle is long, the price of the raw material that has moved forward in three months has now fallen. The product will come out after three months. It's very cheap, if you calculate it at the current price of raw materials, it will sell at a loss.
5) Graphite electrode is a kind of consumable. The copper electrode was originally used in electric arc furnace steelmaking. Later, it was found that the price of graphite electrode is cheaper than copper electrode, and it is easy to process and shape, gradually replacing the copper electrode market.
6) Graphite electrodes are unstable. Many graphite electrode manufacturers have no experience at the beginning of production, and the graphite electrode indicators of each batch do not meet the standard, or part of the same batch meets the standard. This has a lot to do with the manufacturing process.
7) Graphite electrode consumption is low, smelting only consumes about 2 kg per ton of steel, accounting for about 2% of steelmaking cost.
8) The finished graphite electrode is not harmful to human health, but graphite dust is still harmful to the respiratory system, so you need to wear a dust mask to produce graphite electrodes.
9) The graphite electrode joint is stronger than the graphite electrode body, the production cycle is longer than that of the graphite electrode body, and the cost is higher. In addition, do not mix graphite electrodes of different brands. Many steel plants have different graphite electrode suppliers, and each batch must be used up before the next batch can be replaced.
10) The high price of graphite electrodes is because many steel plants do not purchase directly, but purchase them through third-party or intermediary agents. This is more expensive, so it is important to find the right graphite electrode manufacturer.