What is the effect of resistivity on the use of electrodes in steelmaking?
By:Yvonne Aug 20, 2020
The resistivity of graphite electrodes is a physical index reflecting the conductivity of the electrodes, which is related to the manufacturing process. The resistivity of graphite electrodes of different specifications and varieties is defined qualitatively by the state. Generally speaking, when choosing certain specifications, steel mills must choose the resistivity specifications specified in the national metallurgical standards. In the perimeter, the high resistivity will make the electrodes red and hot when electrified, and increase the consumption of electrode oxidation.
• Resistivity is the parameter to measure the conductivity of the electrode, is refers to the current through a conductor, a conductor that resistance to the flow of electricity a nature, value is equal to the length of 1 m, cross-sectional area of 1 m2 of conductor in a certain temperature under the condition of resistance, unit mu Ω m.. The lower the resistivity, the better the conductivity and the lower the consumption of the electrode in use.
• The ways to reduce the resistivity include: using high quality raw materials, increasing the volume density of products, increasing the graphitization temperature and so on.
► Graphite electrodes resistivity:
► Graphite electrode resistivity measurement
The resistivity measurement of graphite chemical sequence can be carried out according to the carbon material resistivity measurement method YB/T120-1997, which is defined as a property representing the resistance of a material when passing through an electric current, which is numerically equal to the resistance value of a conductor with a length of 1m and a cross-sectional area of 1m2.
The principle is based on Ohm's law and the characteristics of conductors to derive the following formula:
U -- Voltage drop at both ends of the conductor, mV
I -- the strength of the current passing through the conductor, A
S -- the cross-sectional area of the electrode, mm2
L -- length of conductor, m
► Graphite electrode resistivity measuring instrument:
It is a measuring instrument for measuring the resistivity of graphite electrode in carbon industry
• Determine according to national standard way
• Suitable for field survey
• The machine is equipped with DC power supply (no external AC power supply is required)
• The measurement data is automatically accessed to the U disk without recording
• Voice reading data
• High precision and long service life
• Instrument measurement has small relative error and high anti-interference.
• Two screen display modes: horizontal display and vertical display.
• Convenient measurement procedure and simple operation
• Light weight (about 8kg), easy to carry.