UHP graphite electrodes mainly used in ultra high power electric arc furnace, Max diameter 700mm, The current density greater than 25 A/cm2.
UHP graphite electrode meaning?
UHP graphite electrode main ingredient is high-value needle coke which is made from either petroleum or coal tar. It's used for the recycling of steel in the electric arc furnace industry.
Graphite electrodes are machined into cylinders and threaded regions are machined at both ends. In this way, the graphite electrodes can be assembled into an electrode column using electrode nipple.
Graphite Electrode is composed of body and nipple.
1) Very high electricity load capacity.
2) Bulk density is strictly controlled to have the best thermal shock resistance.
3) Low specific resistance, excellent electrical conductivity, so the energy loss is very small and no electric arc generates at body part.
4) Good high temperature mechanical strength, is not easy to rupture during working.
5) No contamination to the processed steel, only CO or CO2 gas are produced during oxidization.
6) Very low thermal expansion coefficient.
7) Long production cycle and complex processing craft.
8) Precise machining accuracy
IEC 60239 Graphite electrodes for electric arc furnaces – Dimensions and designation
YB/T 4088 Graphite electrode
YB/T 4089 High power graphite electrode
YB/T 4090 Ultra high power graphite electrode
The rate at which UHP graphite electrodes are consumed in an EAF depends on the steelmaking or other raw materials used, the grades of steel being produced, and the amount of supplemental (chemical) energy used. EAFs typically consume electrodes at a rate of around 2 kg per tonne of steel produced, with some specialty steel applications consuming at a slightly higher rate.
Graphite electrodes are widely used for production of alloy steels, metal and other nonmetallic materials, etc.
DC electric arc furnace & AC electric arc furnace & Submerged arc furnace & Ladle furnace
1) AC steelmaking arc furnace
Specifications of graphite electrode used ac steel-making arc furnace, 10 ~ 30 t arc furnace using graphite electrode diameter from 300 ~ 400 mm, 30 ~ 50 t arc furnace using graphite electrode diameter of 450 mm, 60 ~ 80 t arc furnace using graphite electrode diameter of 500 mm, 100 ~ 170 t arc furnace using graphite electrode diameter from 550 ~ 600 mm, 200 t arc furnace using uhp graphite electrode diameter from 600 ~ 700 mm, 250 ~ 300 t eaf with 700 mm diameter uhp graphite electrodes.
2) DC steelmaking arc furnace
Dc steelmaking arc furnace, 30T arc furnace using 450mm diameter graphite electrode, 60T arc furnace using 500mm diameter graphite electrode, 70-80t arc furnace using 600mm diameter uhp electrode, 100-130t arc furnace using 700mm diameter uhp electrode, 150T arc furnace using 750mm diameter uhp electrode.
UHP graphite electrode data sheet
• UHP graphite electrode technical specification:
• Nominal Diameter of Graphite Electrode (mm):
1. There should be less than two defects or holes on the electrode surface, the max size of which is mentioned in the above chart.
2. There should be no transverse crack on the electrode surface. For the longitudinal crack, the length should be less than 5% of the electrode circumference and the width in between 0.3-1.0mm.
3. The width of black area on electrode surface should be less than 1/10 of electrode circumference and the length less than 1/3 of electrode.
Graphite electrodes manufacturing
Read more graphite electrodes manufacturing process pdf, Please Dowload: Graphite Electrodes PDF