It is expected that the global demand for graphite electrodes will increase by 283,800 tons from 2018 to 2020, So let DanCarbon talk about Why are graphite electrodes used? Graphite electrode demand & Graphite electrode advantages.
1 Why are graphite electrodes used?
Graphite electrode is primarily used in electric arc furnace (EAF) steelmaking process, to melt steel scrap. Electrodes are made of graphite because of its ability to withstand high temperatures. In EAF, the tip of the electrode can reach 3,000º Fahrenheit, which is half the temperature of the surface of sun. The size of electrodes varies widely, from 75mm in diameter, to as large as 750mm in diameter, and up to 2,800mm in length.
2. Graphite electrode demand
It is expected that the global demand for graphite electrodes will increase by 283,800 tons from 2018 to 2020, with an average annual compound growth rate of 4.88%.
In 2017, the capacity of mini-mill electric arc furnaces in overseas was 36762,000 tons, and the adding capacity of electric arc furnaces from 2018 to 2019 was 88,355,000 tons. It was officially announced that according to domestic capacity replacement, the steel production capacity to be eliminated was totally 40,590,000 tons, including 20,100,000 tons of the steel production capacity from EFA, and 20,490,000 tons of the blast furnace-converter capacity.
It was estimated that from 2018 to 2020, China will have 52,500 tons, 254,500 tons and 414,000 tons of graphite electrode production capacity respectively, with an average annual compound growth rate of 13.18%.
Global demand for graphite electrodes will reach 1,435,200 tons in 2020, with an average annual compound growth rate of 4.88% from 2018 to 2020.
Before 2020, it is estimated that the demand for electric arc furnaces and graphite electrodes in China and abroad will increase to 283,800 tons. The demand for UHP graphite electrodes will be increased by 92,700 tons, 141,900 tons and 49,200 tons in 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively. From 2018 to 2020, the global demand for graphite electrodes will reach to1,244,100 tons, 1,386,000 tons, and 1,435,200 tons, with an average annual compound growth rate of 8.29%.
3. Graphite electrode advantages
• Processing speed is faster: Under normal circumstances, graphite machining speed can be 2 to 5 times faster than copper; and discharge processing speed is 2 to 3 times faster than copper.
• The material is more difficult to deform: obvious advantages in the thin-walled electrode processing.
• Lighter weight: the density of graphite is only 1/5 of copper, large electrode for electrical discharge machining, can effectively reduce the machine tool (EDM) burden; more suitable for large mold applications.
• Low loss.